
This sign points the was to my house. I think it a little strange that the explosive laden vehicle route is also the route to my house. Not every military base has live fire practice. This one does. In fact for several days last week I could hear the booming (quite well when we were outside, but very softly when inside) of the practice along with gentle earthquakes every minute or so throughout each day.


These are retired tanks. They have several retired things on display along the main road here.

This is a sign that I use as a landmark. It is just a few yards before the turn off for my neighborhood. The tanks that cross the road here are not retired just very loud. The other day I was out for a walk with Naomi and Jeffrey in the stroller when a tank came roaring down the road. Jeff was so excited. Naomi just covered her ears.

This is the hospital where Keith works. I'm glad he works here and not out in the "field" where all those loud booms come from.

This statue is just outside the hospital. I never noticed it until the day after Man left the US. I saw it and froze. (Just in case you can't tell, it is a depiction of a medic helping a wounded man. The medic also happens to be aiming a gun at an undepicted enemy.) I froze when I noticed the statue and I almost cried. I hope Man's service in Iraq is not like the picture depicted by this statue.

The biggest eye opener for me here has been seeing the families here deal with deployment. These are just a few of the welcome home signs along the fence coming up to the main gate. There is probably at least 200 yards of fence and most of the time the fence is way more crowded than this. (I took the picture on a day that was right in between home comings so one round of signs was coming down and the next ones went up a few days later.) When I got to the store here on base I often see cars with count downs 'till Daddy gets home painted on the windows. For these people this is just how life is. Daddy is gone 6 or 8 months every year. Most of the time he lives in Iraq. My friend's husband left yesterday for Iraq. He will be gone for 7 months. Just like Lady and Man, they will have a new baby (about two months old)when he comes home. Three months later, he will leave again for several months. (this time for Japan.)
Since moving to a military base I see so clearly now how the men and women who serve give everything for their country. Their families give a lot, too. I hope and pray for them daily, especially since I know so many of them personally now.
4 comments:
Taffy- Thanks for posting those pictures and sharing your thoughts. I found it very interesting. My boys would love to be taking a walk around the neighborhood and see big tanks crossing the road! I think military life is a whole different culture as your pictures and comments suggest. Tell your friend good luck. I can empathize although she has twice the amount of time to endure as I do.
A Nice Post! Thanks for letting us into your life. SPH-1
Thank you for posting the pictures, it was interesting to see what it looks like on base! I've talked with some of the military wives out here who've made different sacrifices about their experiences and thoughts. I really appreciated your thoughts, thank you.
Taffy, Thank you for your insight. I really enjoyed reading it.
Post a Comment