
I experimented with Sunday dinner today. I was originally planning to do a roast with potatoes and carrots but then I decided I wanted to have something different. I had seen a recipe for a pot roast stew that used squash, apples and seasonings like cinnamon and allspice. I decided to convert it to roast instead of a stew and wowie, wow, wow! Was it good!!!
Here's what I did:
*All spice measurements are estimates because I didn't measure any of them*
3 lb boneless beef chuck roast
3 T Cinnamon
2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp pepper
cooking spray
1 onion (cut in wedges)
1 can beef broth
1 tsp dried rosemary
3 apples cored and sliced (I used Gala but Granny Smith or Fuji would probably work too)
2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces (I use my veggie peeler to peel squash, the pieces should be comparable to the apple slices in size)
1/4 cup cold water
3 T flour
Season both sides of roast with pepper, allspice and cinnamon.
Brown the meat on all sides in frying pan with a little cooking spray
Placed the roast in a roasting pan and add chopped onion beef broth and dried rosemary.
Cooked covered at 325 for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove lid (or foil) and add squash and apples.(Try to get them down in the broth as much as you can)
Cook uncovered for 1 hour more. (or until squash and apples are soft)
Remove roast, onion, apples and squash to serving tray.
For Gravy
Heat drippings in sauce pan. (you want it to boil)
whisk flour into cold water, add to drippings when they boil and whisk until thickened.
Enjoy
8 comments:
That dinner looks absolutely amazing! We have been having the old trouble of "How do we get creative with all this squash from our garden that only half the household will eat without 10 times the allowable volume of sugar?" Your meal seems to hit the jackpot, Taffy.
Like some members of Pooka's gang, I'm not a huge fan of squash. But you sure make it look good. I might even try that at home!
What pretty colors - Before and After!
Wow that looks great, Taffy! Thanks for sharing!
Yummmmmm....that looks fantastic. I too am not normally a huge squash person but since I'm salivating already, it looks like I'll be going to get some.
Sounds good! Post it on Hey Mikey Likey
Great idea, Taffy! I think I will have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.
My friend gave me a big hunk of squash yesterday. You know that I have not been a big fan of squash but I decided to try your recipe with a few alterations. I used chicken and chicken boullion and I cooked it all in the crock pot. Next time I will start it later in the day. The apples got cooked almost to applesauce. As you said about your dinner, ours was very tastey and Yes I did eat the squash! Love to all
Post a Comment