Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Wagon of Life

I used to think of life as a little red wagon. I was sitting in it getting pulled along. Although I caught a few glimpses of the destination here and there, I was never quite sure were the wagon was going. I thought it was going in the right direction so I sat back and enjoyed the ride.
Just over a year ago I somehow got knocked out of my wagon. (I think it had something to do with the birth of #4) I was still holding on to the back of the wagon as it was speeding wildly down a rocky hill. I kept telling myself that things would be ok because at least I still had hold of the crazy wagon. And so it went for about a year.
Since my calling to the primary presidency, I've had to make some changes in my life. For example writing everything down, planning days and weeks in advance, working on kicking the sweets addiction, and getting to bed and waking up at early hours. I'm not perfect at any of these things but I'm improving.
Through all this self improvement stuff I feel like I've been able to get myself back up in the wagon! Upon finding myself in the wagon I discovered that it (the wagon) was a lot different than I thought. This wagon is a big Conestoga pulled by horses. I think I'm in the back of the wagon getting bumped around a bit still. Yet, I can see the drivers seat. By continuing my self improvement I think I'll be able to get myself into that seat and take charge of the wagon.
I guess I should have figured this out a long time ago, but sometimes I'm a little slow.
Maybe at reunion I can give ya'll a wagon ride.

5 comments:

John said...

I'm still in a little red wagon...

Peanut said...

I'm glad you aren't feeling like you are still being dragged behind! Good luck getting into the driver's seat!

B said...

Good for you, getting back up on the wagon. I think I'm still 1/2 in 1/2 out!

Boss said...

I had to stop riding my wagon cause the front wheel is broken and the axle is draggin'.

I'm glad your wagon's in good working order, even if steering is a little rough sometimes!

Trick said...

I had to laugh out loud at Diana's comment. I remember singing that song over and over, louder and louder. That was so fun. Man, I bet we were annoying to other people...

Anyway, I have felt like I am on, or dragging behind that wagon many times. For example, with cleaning my house. Well, using this card file cleaning schedule has really helped. Cooking has been another trial. I am getting better, but still need more organization. What has helped me feel more in the driver seat is prioritizing my life and goals and saying no to things that may be good but are lower on the priority list. Then I feel like I control my life instead of it controling me.