Thursday, April 27, 2006

On Having Children

(This started as a comment on Dr Sonnet's time bomb....I mean internal clock post. I quickly decided that my reply was long enough and dear enough to my heart that I should just use my own blog instead.)
Of all the things a woman can do I think that the hardest physically is bearing children. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually the hardest is probably raising the children she worked so hard to bear. Without the challenge, however, the joys could not be as great. "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." (2 Nephi 2:11)
When It was time for Naomi to be born I was fully intending to have an epidural, just like when her sisters were born. It didn't happen. She was born too fast. And I'll tell you, IT HURT! But, there was something special about the stark contrast between hard labor and the relief and joy after birth. This event was an awakening to me of the true beauty of opposition. Since then I've found it more apparent in many areas of life but most especially in those areas involving children. I've found that it's the things in life that are hard, those things that you really have to work for, those are the things that are most precious.
Life as a mother is hard. Way harder than I ever imagined it would be. With tantrums, screaming, exploding poop bombs, never-ending laundry, sleepless nights, not to mention the overall responsibility for the physical, spiritual and emotional development and well being of another human. (x4 in my case) My hands are full. (At least, that's what people tell me quite often as I am out and about with my crew.) And yet, I have no regrets. Each child is a jewel on my crown. Seeing my children grow, develop and succeed brings more joy than I ever imagined it could. Jeffrey just learned to say "thank you." Sweet words from a baby. Naomi spontaneously sings, "I thank God for this day..." (from Veggie Tales) and melts my heart daily. Caroline is the academic star of her preschool and has the most contagious laugh I have ever heard. Jessie has started organizing everything from her underwear drawer to the school recycling program. My jewels shine and my heart is full. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

7 comments:

Peanut said...

Thank you Taffy. This is beautiful. (and makes me cry a little). From the outside looking in, I see the joy that children bring. I want that.

(Plus, remember what we'd yell when someone was crying? I just remembered that and it made me laugh!)

Like Mike said...

A bakers dozen is a nice number!

Just think - I Bertha woke up most days, and asked: What are we going to do today?
Allen: Same thing we do every day. Try to take over the world!

Just a couple generations more ....

ps. ....we are the family that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started having kids, not knowing what they were. And they continued having kids forever just because, we are the family that never ends....

Ree said...

So true, Taffy. A few months ago, I wrote in my journal about the challenges of motherhood. I tried to compare it to something I found difficult in my prior life (before children). Advanced chemistry came to mind. That was hard for me. (Probably not for Sonnet) I never fully understood it, and I sure don't remember it now. But I still did well enough to earn my college credits.

But the challenge of chemistry doesn't hold a candle to the challege of motherhood. I never imagined it would be so hard. And I sometimes fear I won't be successful. But, as you said, the joys of motherhood are directly proportionate to the challenges it poses. Motherhood is a true example of the priciple of opposition. It is such a blessing to have the gospel to help us in this challenge. And of course, a faithful, supportive husband.

(Sorry for the novel. Apparently I should have written my own post, too.)

Boss said...

Beautiful and sweet and completely totally true! You said it right!

Shana said...

Thanks Catherine. Right now I'm thinking I will surely die just at the thought of two more babies. But your words of wisdom give me faith that I can do it and ultimately it will all be worth it and like you said, there's nowhere else I'd rather be, even on the really bad days. You are an awesome lady and a wonderful mother.

Trick said...

Catherine, when I think of examples of great moms, I always think of you.

CAROLIONESS said...

That is absolutely beautiful! And so are all of you mothers (and future mother)!

ps - Sonnet and Michael, you make me laugh!