Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Pox On My House

A few weeks ago as I was dropping Jessie off at school, she showed me two itchy, red bumps on her arm. They looked like bug bites so I sent her into school. Twenty minutes later the school nurse called to ask me about her red spots. She now had one on her forehead and one on her back too. So I loaded everyone back into the van and headed back to school. By the time I got there, Jessie had two more spots so I took her back home. After reading through my health handbook I decided that although she had been immunized, Jessie had chickenpox. She didn't get it very bad. She had a grand total of 12 blisters and no other symptoms. The hardest part was that we couldn't go anywhere because she was very contagious even though she was not very sick. We watched a lot of TV that week.
This was one week before Jeff's birthday. The chickenpox vaccine is not given until after the first birthday so Jeff couldn't get it yet. By the time he was eligible, he had already been exposed. I kept hoping he wouldn't get it, even though I knew he probably would.
Well, Friday night I noticed a bunch of pimple-looking spots on Jeff's head. By Saturday morning it was for sure. He's got the pox...and bad.

The blisters are all over his scalp, forehead, back, belly, boyish parts, feet, in his ears and I even saw one in his mouth. The comforting part is that he is not as big of a complainer as Jessie. He is actually quite cheery most of the time. I guess we will just have another fun week of being home bound.

2 comments:

B said...

I'm glad he's a happy boy even though he's sick. Mommy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when emily got them so bad she was not a happy camper!

Taffy said...

I guess I spoke too soon 'cause he was up all night lastnight fussing and has been a grumpy bear all day today. I guess all the blisters have really started to get to him. I'm happy that I have a friend comming to help me for a few days this week.