Saturday, September 22, 2007

Where are you from?

Remember back in 1991 at The Hill Cumorah Pageant when we ran around banging our "cocoa nuts" together and talking with a crazy accent inspired by Monty Python? We did it so much that Sarl was asked (in a very exasperated tone, if I remember correctly) "Where are you from?"

I've been pondering this question quite a bit lately. I don't know where I'm from. Mars? JK. I've lived a lot of places. They have all felt like home to me.

So when do you become "from" a certain place? When you move there? After living there for a while? After you leave a place and move to the next place? Do you have to be born there? Is it the place you've spent the most time? Or just the place you've lived most recently?

While on the phone with friend the other day, she was asked by someone on her end who she was talking to. Her reply was, "my friend from California."

Am I from California? I guess I have spent most of the past 8 years here. I'm sure I could rightfully claim it, I just don't feel it. I don't feel like I'm from anywhere. Don't get me wrong --I have a home and I feel at home in many places-- But where am I FROM?
----Heaven I guess!

4 comments:

Emmy said...

I definately know what you're talking about. I usually just pick between the three states I grew up in depending on my mood. I think Daddy-O's answer almost seems the best.

Lady said...

When I visit somewhere, away from the place I live currently, and someone asks where I am from - I say I'm from "the place I live now". It has been many places - I've been from DE, PA, IA, OK, and PA again. But if I am talking to someone who wants to know my origin, I usually say, I grew up in ...."said place". For me - good ole Dover, DE. Because at this point in my life I have almost lived away from my origin as long as I lived growing up there.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Taffy that was so funny at Pageant! Where are you from?! I have to agree with Lady. I do say I'm from my current town now, but often say that I "grew up back east". I think especially for those of you who have moved around a lot, you should feel free to qualify any statement of where you are from, i.e. "...most recently from...", or "currently living in...". But I think it mostly depends on how connected/invested you are in a place. While in college, (and nurturing the mindset that after graduation, I'm outta this place, HAH!) I never said I was from this city, or even the state. My how things change , eh!?

Princess Gerty said...

I understand how you somewhat, but recently, that answer has been more simple. I usually just say PA. Then people want to know how I ended up here, and where I met my husband, so then we usually cover all the rounds (except Estonia).