Keith has a pager for work. I'm not really sure why. The only times I've ever herd it go off is when the battery gets low. (To let you know before it dies that you need to put in a new battery.)
Tonight while I was finishing up the dishes thinking I better hurry cause I'm sure Keith is ready to go to bed -- Keith came down the stairs and started to put his shoes on. In my mind I decided he had found some more garbage to put out. (tomorrow is garbage pick up) I turn around to look at him he says, "I have to go to the hospital--they have a patient for me."
This is a new experience for me. I don't think I like it very much. I can handle when I know he is going to be gone but this all the sudden stuff? I don't think so. I have a new appreciation for all y'all other docs who have pagers that actually go off.
5 comments:
Yeah, I can't say I'm that excited when Coach's pager goes off either. But (should I tell you this?) you get used to it. Blah.
Taffy - WELCOME to the "I can't really depend on my husband" CLUB. It is certainly not a club to aspire to be in. It does make planning something on those "call" days really frustrating not knowing if you'll have help, babysitting, etc.. or not. The WORST is when they get called in an hour before you're supposed to leave for church and all the help you thought you had to get your kids ready and out the door is gone and you are left hanging and then you get to church and have to wrestle you kids by yourself and have to take the baby out to nurse - and what do you do with the others? See if you had known he would be gone you would have had someone lined up to sit with you etc... blah blah blah - welcome to the club!
I am really sorry for you guys. Sometimes I feel the same way, although it's not cuz my husband is saving someone's life...
By the way, I am in a silly mood. What is the emergency with Keith? "Hurry! This guy needs glasses, right away!" ?
Ew! That pager thing does sound like a bummer. But having been on the other side of an emergency, I am thankful for you doctors who drop everything to come to the rescue!
Hey Taffy, maybe that was a one time fluke, and Keith's pager will go back to it's good ol silent self.
For princess gerty's benefit--the emergency was actually someone who got several pieces of metal in his eye and I had to remove them. A couple of days later I saw another emergency room patient who was hit in the eye with a rock from a passing car. (I won't give you the full description of what his eye looked like). I have had patients who have been hospitalized for vision-threatening corneal ulcers and who have had their facial bones shattered by having a car fall off a jack when working underneath the engine. Optometrists do a lot more that prescribe glasses and contacts!
Post a Comment