
her ballet costume from the spring. When she was out for the night I added her Sunday sweater. Originally she said she wanted to be a fairy so I bought cheap fairy wings from Wal-Mart. She loved the wings when we first got them but when it was time to trick-or-treat, she was done with them. I guess she was a ballerina for Halloween then.
Jessie's costume was also pretty good.

Her Sunday blouse, the neighbors pirate pants, a piece of yellow fabric for her waist, red fabric on her head, a cardboard sword, and an eye patch (not pictured) provided by the local optometrist(dad).
I'm sure some of you recognize Jeff's costume.

It was the easiest of all. Perfect.
Caroline has her own ideas about what makes a perfect costume. Because I love her I let her have what she wanted.

Of course this meant buying a pattern and fabric and putting in many hours of work. We even custom made the wand and wings so they could be just perfect! She was very pleased with the end result, which made all the work worth it. I did enjoy the project and I even learned how to do French seams.
The kids here are not allowed to dress up for Halloween at school. Caroline's teacher found a way around that though. The kids got to come to school dressed up as a character from book. Each child then had to give an oral book report. She did a great job. Thanks Frogga-lee for giving us fairy books!

At trick-or-treat time the kids were so excited. Naomi has been looking forward to candy collecting for a long time. We just went up and down our own street, but since our street is the longest in the neighborhood and it is all 4-plexes (the rest of the neighborhood is single houses or 2-plex), they got tons of candy.
The base scheduled the neighborhood trick-or-treat from 5-8. (ok really it was 1700-2000) There was a constant flow of kids at the door. Even though I had over 12 bags of candy it was gone by 6 o'clock. When the my kids came back from their half hour of trick-or-treating, I told them they could go back out if they dumped their candy in my empty bowl. They thought that was a great idea, so they went out for more fun and we were able to stretch the candy for another hour. We turned out our light about 7. By then it was mostly big kids coming around anyway and most of them were not even dressed up. (I don't mind grown up trick-or-treaters but they should at least dress up!)

In the end everyone was pleased with their costumes, had a good time, and got enough, but not too much, candy.
8 comments:
What cute trick-or-treaters! I'm so impressed with Caroline's costume. It's beautiful. But in my opinion, you get SRC points for every one of them. Plus lots of bonus points cause the kids look so cute and happy.
They look great! Cheap and easy costumes are my idea of a great halloween, too. And I like the candy recycling idea, too. I think we have more than we need around here.
Caroline's costume is simply gorgeous! Way to go Mom!
Taffy - I tried multiple times to comment on this post (and it was a long comment too) Each time I got an error so I think I'll call you and tell you my comments!
Love the Halloween costumes! Thanks for sharing them with us. Wow, you get a lot of trick-or-treaters! We thought we had lots, but I think you get more! Love you, Grandma Castleton
The clown costume has a life of its own. Can you believe Paul wore it when he was Jeff's size. Glad it has survived.
Hey Cathrine,
It's Amy Bitter we delayed our trip to california, but if the offer is still good we'd love to come see you this weekend. Sunday if possible. I miss placed your phone number again...Ugh! after 4 kids it seems i'm alays forgetting something. Oh, well. Give me a call when you get a chance. Thanks a ton! Amy
Wowzers Taffy I can't believe how big your kiddies are. They are so beautiful. And the costumes are so great! You are so creative. I miss you all tons. Take Care.
Post a Comment