Thursday, May 18, 2006

Benefit

Last Thursday I went over to my friends house to help her catalog donations for a silent auction at a cancer benefit that was scheduled for Friday. I arrived at 10am. I didn't get back home until 6pm. This kind woman has been working for several months to organize a fundraising event for two local families. Although many people had offered to help she had never made any asingments. I soon found that my friend was trying to run a concert, silent auction, bake sale, yard sale, raffle and hot dog stand, single handedly. I eventually took over the auction part. A short while later I wrote up a list: Setup, raffle, admission, yard sale, bake sale, auction, concert, cleanup. "Now you need to find someone to head up each of these areas and you need to do it now." I said. By the time we the event started we had almost every area taken care of. At one point one person was running the raffle, yard sale and admission so the person who was doing the yard sale could take over the bake sale. Anyway, the event turned out wonderful. It would have been better if we could have raised a million dollars. We did our best though. The local web news did an article about it. (Jessie and Caroline are in the children's singing group, too)

1 comment:

Ree said...

Wow! The big event got a nice write-up. What a blessing for your those families. And what a blessing you were to help your friend pull every thing together!