Sunday, October 14, 2007

Marathon Day

We made it! Today started at 2:00am with the baby crying. At 2:30 Jessie was up complaining of a headache. I gave her a drink of water and sent her back to bed. A while later she came back and was asking Keith for help. He gave her a blessing, gave her a drink of water and sent her back to bed. At 4:00 Caroline came in and said Jessie wasn't feeling well. Apparently Caroline didn't like Jessie flailing around in the bed they were sharing. I decided to help her relax and started rubbing her head. It really seamed to help her calm down so at least she would stop kicking Caroline. After a while I gave Jessie another drink of water. She had a little of it and then set it down saying, "I don't think my tummy wants me to drink any more." She lay down, coughed, sat up and vomited in Caroline's lap.
Now, vomit is bad and we all get our turns now and again but for some reason, my kids are really good and throwing up in hotels! Yep, here we are in our hotel/house in Long Beach so we can see Keith run his marathon and Jessie just vomited in her sister's lap! What a good start for the day:( But you see it gets even better because Keith gets up and runs to the bathroom too! Yep he's got the bug that has been going around, just in time for the marathon.

After a while of deliberation be decides to go ahead and try it. He has been training for this day for a long time and he decides to go for it!

26.2 miles is rough and with a the stomach flu it is no picnic I am sure! But he battled it out and used up all his mental energy in positive thoughts!

Here are his results:


Long Beach International City Bank Marathon - Marathon
Bib:
463
Name:
Keith Castleton
Gender:
M
Age:
33
Place Overall:
223 out of 2340
Men:
193 out of 1459
Men 30-34:
27 out of 187
Place:

445
Time:
3:36:55

You can check our some cool race stuff here.

Just enter the last name and you will get his info.

I am so proud of him, he has worked hard for a long time and he did totally awesome even though he was sick! (He is still not feeling so great but he says he is doing a little better.)
I couldn't get any great pictures as I was mostly occupied with my two goals for the day. 1. still have five children when I leave. 2. See Keith finish. All the spectators had to remain outside of the fence so we sat all along and peaked through he fence to try to see the runners coming. A friend got a little video of Keith's finish so when I Get that perhaps I can figure our how to put it on the blog for everyone to see. The first picture was taken shortly after he finished. This is how Kiersti passed the time. (By the way, Caroline took this picture!)


The kids were so excited to go to Long Beach because they thought we were going to play at the beach so we made their dreams come true and let them play at the beach for a little while. I just wish we had brought sandals. Sneakers are a pain at the beach!

I certainly was a long marathon of a day be we sure had some fun and we are so proud of our Marathon Man! Way to go Keith!

4 comments:

Lady said...

Wow Taffy - what a day (and night) I can't believe that Keith did SOOO well after being up all night and getting sick. You tell him way to go but I'm not sure that is the best medicine to get over a virus - wear out your body beyond any other circumstance. Maybe that's why he's still not feeling well - his poor body is recovering from a virus and running a marathon. And way to Taffy for coraling 5 kids for 4 hours while you waited for Keith to cross the finish line. That is no easy feat either. I just adore the last picture of Kiersti in the sand. What a cutie! Hope Jessie is feeling better too.

Emmy said...

Wow! I can't believe Keith ran the race! Running that far is hard enough when you are felling 100% at the beginning. I am amazed and glad that he was able to finish. Good job to both of you!

Ree said...

I can't even imagine running a marathon, let alone under circumstances like that! Big time kudos to Keith. Hope every one is feeling better now.

Princess Gerty said...

WOW! Way to go Keith and Taffy! What a great, memorable day!