Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Give Me A Break!


Oops, not literally!
Some days are hard. Today for example, all I really did was tackle the laundry pile. (Okay, well, I did get everyone dressed, off to school, fed breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, changed several diapers, all the other day to day stuff and attend the school open house with all the kids in tow.) I feel like I worked really hard, all day. I even got the laundry folded and put away, which sometimes takes a week but I did it all today. It really was a lot of work, but for some reason I feel like I didn't accomplish anything. I think that comes from knowing that my bedroom is still a huge mess. I can hardly walk in there. You see, all my clothes are piled every where. And I mean all my clothes: pre-pregnancy, maternity, after pregnancy, nursing, and all the "in between" clothes too. I need to sort them out and decide which I need in the closet and which need to be boxed up. I also have several boxes stacked around my house still waiting to be unpacked. All the pictures and decorations are waiting to be put to use. There are dishes to do. I need to go shopping for groceries, and shoes for Jessie and craft supplies (for the craft fair that is fast approaching, but I don't have anything ready for yet). On top of all that, I know that despite all my hard work, the hampers will be full again by tomorrow afternoon.
I keep planning things out, hoping that with planning I will be able to get out of this hole I'm in. But then I'll have a day like yesterday, and the whole schedule is thrown out the window.
The plan for yesterday was to get the laundry done. Fat chance. Jessie would not walk on her left foot yesterday morning. I had her all ready to go to school but I just couldn't bring myself to send her to school limping. It started bothering her mysteriously on Saturday (no fall, twist or bump, no swelling or bruising). She limped and complained on and off throughout the weekend. So I called the doctor thinking, maybe we can get her in quick this morning, and find out she is fine and then get the laundry done. That plan started out fine as we got an 8:30 appointment. The only problem was we needed to leave very quick so I didn't have time to get someone to watch the other kids. So I loaded all four up and off we went to check on Jessie's ankle. After and examination, several x-rays, and some blood tests, the docs decided to cast her. There was not a definite break but there was one spot that looked "questionable" in one of the pictures. The funniest part is that when she was casted, they put the cast on her right (wrong) foot. So they had to cut it off and try again. They got it right (on the left) the second time. During all the rigmarole at the hospital, I had a friend come get Caroline and take her to school. (I'm just glad I had her lunch packed and thought to have her bring it and her backpack with us just in case.) When we finally got back home it was 2:00, (5 hours at the hospital with all the kids) Jeff had fallen asleep without lunch, and the rest of us were starving. I got the kids all situated with lunch and was just sitting down to my own when the phone rang. It was the school. Caroline had had a horrible nose bleed, and needed new clothes before she could go back to class. As soon as we finished eating I woke Jeff up, loaded everyone back in the van and set of for the school. We got to school just as the older classes were letting out for the day. (Kindergarten lets out 45 min later.) So we had to fight all the end of the day traffic. There were cars, busses and kids everywhere and poor Jessie was still
trying to figure out how to use crutches. We got Caroline changed and back to class, then hobbled through the school to see if Jessie's teacher was around so we could find out what she missed. She was there but she was having a conference with another parent so we had to wait a while. Naomi decided to rearrange the classroom while we waited. She had fun and didn't break anything so I just let her be. (The poor girl had already endured five hours at the hospital.) Jeff was very tired of being in the stroller, very hungry, and his shoes were too tight, so he let me (and everyone else) know about it. We finally got Jessie's makeup work and headed back over to kindergarten to get Caroline.
When we got home again I just wanted to go to bed but I still had FHE prep and dinner to take care of. Dinner, FHE and bedtime went fine. I finally threw a load of laundry in after the kids were in bed. The rest had to wait for today.
Yea!!! The dryer just stopped! Now I can put the last load into the dryer and go to bed.

7 comments:

Boss said...

I feel your pain. Well, 1/4 of it, maybe. I hate laundry too, because unless you're doing it naked, it's never ALL THE WAY done.

Hang in there!

Boss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lady said...

What a rotten day! I am sorry that you had such a hectic day. When it rains it pours sometimes and it's ok not to get everything done on your list. You just move to the next day and see what you can get done. If it's any consolation, my room is a mess too. I keep thinking I'll get to it but of all the rooms it's the least important to clean - at least it's the one company never needs to see. When we had our get together - we locked our bedroom door so no company or children would wonder in there and leave the door open. Good luck. Tomorrow's another day!

Pooka said...

Oooh, I'm sorry your day was such a boner. Sometimes when we moms look back at the day the best we can say about our accomplishments is, "Well, I got all the children exactly 24-hours older, and I did it so well they'll never have to repeat it!"

B said...

LOL, pookah! Taffy, I am so sorry! I wish I could be there to help you out a bit! I do feel the same way though...we can't seem to stay away from the doctor/dentist/hospital, and that sure wreaks havoc on "the plan" for the day.Hang in there taffy! We're all cheering you on!

Peanut said...

Oh my! What a day! I hope things have been a little less hectic lately.

Ree said...

Poor Jessie! I hope her leg heals well, and that there are no more mysterious injuries.

As for the that laundry schmaundry--as long as no one leaves the house naked, it'll wait. Pat yourself on the back for your good work on your tough day, Taffy. You're doing great! Just think how you'd be feeling if you sent Jessie to school and got the laundry taken care of instead of her leg!